- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 200g pasta (spiral or spaghetti)
- 100g ricotta
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ a red pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- fresh black pepper
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the onion and garlic and sauté these until they are transparent (around 8 minutes). Add the chopped red pepper and carrot and cook for a further few minutes.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, tomato paste and a few twists of the black pepper mill and stir. Increase the heat slightly and let the sauce start to bubble away for a few minutes, then reduce the heat.
- Put on a large pot of salted water and bring to the boil, add pasta to water and cook until 'al dente' approximately 8- 10 minutes.
- Add the ricotta, parmesan and basil to the sauce and stir through.
- Either puree or leave as a chunky tomato sauce.