Crepes are a great dish to whip up and can be filled with anything you have in your fridge. Some simple sautéed vegetables, or some banana slices and thawed frozen berries with a bit of yoghurt. Try this recipe for a delicious dinner, whipped up in no time.
Preparation: 20 minutes | Cooking: 20 mins | Makes around 6 crepes | Serves 2 | Crepes suitable for freezing | Contains dairy and gluten
20 minsprep time
10 minsCook time
- For the Crepes
- 125g whole wheat or buckwheat flour
- 1 egg
- 150ml milk
- 100ml water
- A little olive oil for frying
- For the filling
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 80g button or chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 handfuls spinach, washed
- 1 tbsp cream cheese or crème fraiche
- 2 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- To make the crepes, sift the flour with a pinch of salt into a mixing bowl, then crack in the egg and mix well. Add the milk and water, then beat well until smooth and well combined. Set aside while you make the filling.
- To make the filling, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion until softened, then add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for another 5-6 minutes until cooked through. Season well with salt and pepper, then add the spinach and cook for a few minutes until it starts to wilt. Stir frequently. Set aside while you cook the pancakes
- To cook the pancakes, heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan, pour in a large tablespoon of batter and swirl around until it thinly covers the base of the pan. Fry for about a minute until the underside is set. Flip the pancake with a spatula and cook on the other side. Remove the crepe from the pan onto a plate cover with a clean tea towel to keep warm. Make additional crepes with the remaining batter.
- While the pancakes are cooking, put a pan of water onto boil. Once boiled, reduce the heat and add in a teaspoon of vinegar. Crack a fresh egg into the pan and poach gently until cooked. Remove and drain egg and repeat with another egg.
- Once you have made all the crepes, take the last two made and place on warm plates. Spread over the crème or cream cheese on both and scatter the mushrooms and spinach, and top with the poached egg. Season and serve.