A Halloween recipe to howl for
This is the pear-fect, easy-to-make recipe in pre-celebration of Halloween.
Ready in 30 minutes | Serves 4 | Suitable from 12 months and the whole family
30 minsprep time
10 minsCook time
- 4 ripe conference pears, peeled (leave stalk intact if possible!)
- 250ml apple juice
- 1 x pouch of Piccolo apple, apricot & cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise or pinch of dried cinnamon
- Handful of flaked almonds
- 100g white chocolate (optional)
- Place the peeled pears into a saucepan with the apple juice, Piccolo pouch and spices. Place the lid on and simmer gently for around 25 minutes, until the pears are soft, but with a little bite. Remove from the juice and place on a plate.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and star anise and continue to gently simmer the remaining juice for about 10 minutes until it has thickened slightly and become syrupy.
- While the juice is reducing, heat a dry small saucepan and gently toast the almond flakes for a minute or two, toasting both sides. Watch closely, as they catch quickly.
- If you want to coat the pears in melted white chocolate, break the chocolate into pieces and place in a glass bowl over gently simmering water in a saucepan to melt. Once the pears are cooked and cooled pop in the freezer for a few minutes before coating with the white chocolate to help it stick.
- Cut a thin sliver off the base of each pear so they stand. Give each ghost pear two eyes and a mouth with the almond flakes.