A Heavenly Pasta: This traditional dish combines little pieces of angel haired pasta with a rich, sweet tomato and lentil sauce, cooked in olive oil with a pinch of parsley.
Tip: this tomato and lentil sauce is brilliant to bulk up pasta sauces and meat sauces. Make in bulk and freeze in portion sizes. You can also add extra vegetables such as grated courgette or red pepper in there for extra veggie goodness.
Preparation: 15 minutes | Cooking: 25 minutes | Makes 4 portions | Not suitable for freezing | Suitable from 8 months
40 minsprep time
10 minsCook time
- ½ medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 medium carrot peeled and chopped
- ½ leek trimmed and chopped
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 x 227g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 90g dried red lentils
- 250g low salt vegetable Stock or water
- Dash of olive oil
- Pinch of dried parsley or pinch of fresh parsley chopped
- 100g angel hair pasta
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic, carrot, leek and cinnamon. Cook for 5 minutes, occasionally stirring, until the carrot is tender.
- Add the lentils, tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock and parsley. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, bring a pan of water to the boil and add the angel hair pasta. Cook following the manufacturer’s instructions. Drain the pasta and either mix with the sauce or serve separately.