A fresh veg packed pasta salad perfect for spring
This salad makes an ideal make-ahead picnic or packed lunch, perfect for the whole family to share alongside your choice of meat, fish or mixed salads
Preparation: 20 minutes | Cooking: 20 minutes | Makes 6-8 servings | Suitable from 12 months (without salt)
40 minsprep time
10 minsCook time
- 250g uncooked, medium-size pasta, variety of shapes
- 2 slices of bread to make toasted bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter; melted
- 6 slices bacon cooked crisp (can be omitted to make this veggie)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce washed and chopped
- ½ red pepper, washed, deseeded and finely chopped
- 100g red and yellow cherry tomatoes washed & halved
- 100g frozen peas, cooked
- handful of basil, torn
- 60g feta, cubed
- For the sauce
- 50g mayonnaise
- 50g full fat natural yoghurt
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Reserve a little pasta water and drain the pasta.
- While the pasta cooks, cook the bacon, chop the lettuce, halve the tomatoes, chop the red pepper and cook the peas, then make the breadcrumbs.
- To make the breadcrumbs, tear the bread apart into smaller chunks and place in a food processor. Process the bread until it is in small-medium sized crumbs.
- Place the breadcrumbs into a medium bowl and add the melted butter. Mix together until the butter is well incorporated. Toast in the oven on 200C for 10-15 minutes until toasted to your liking.
- To make the sauce, a medium mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, paprika, and black pepper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the drained pasta, half the breadcrumbs, half the crispy bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers and sauce.
- Toss to mix and refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- To serve, if needed add the reserved pasta water to loosen the salad. Sprinkle with reserved breadcrumbs, bacon, the torn basil and feta cubes and season with salt & pepper to taste.