Spinach & tomato smoked mackerel pasta
- 100ml milk
- 75ml water
- 200g skinless, boneless smoked haddock or salmon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 250ml Piccolo vegetable stock
- 150g basmati rice, rinsed in cold water
- 100g frozen peas
- Squeeze of lemon and lemon slices to garnish
- Handful chopped parsley plus extra to garnish
- Place the milk, water and bay leaf in a small saucepan and poach the fish fillets over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until cooked through. Remove the fish from the liquid to cool, keep the liquid.
- To soft boil the eggs, bring a pan of water to a boil and submerge the eggs for 6½ minutes. Once done, submerge the eggs in cold water and set aside.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the spices and toast for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pan with the stock and the poaching liquid from the fish. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and quarter the eggs and flake the fish.
- Add the fish, peas and parsley to the pan and cook for another 3 minutes, until the peas are tender.
- Serve topped with the eggs, a squeeze of lemon and an extra sprinkle of parsley.