Whilst shop bought pesto is a time saving lifesaver. Making your own pesto is actually very quick and means you can cram in the greens in a really delicious way. I like adding cooked peas to my baby pesto to add bulk and natural sweetness.
Pesto can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days, or freeze in ice cube container for later use.
Prep: 10 minutes | Cooking: 15 minutes | Makes 4 portions | Suitable from 8 months | Pesto suitable for freezing
25 minsprep time
10 minsCook time
- 60g frozen peas
- 100g Piccolo baby star pasta shapes
- 100g fresh kale or spinach
- 60g fresh basil
- 40g freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp full fat Greek yoghurt
- Cook the peas in a large pan of boiling water. Once cooked drain, reserving the cooking water. Add the pasta into the pea cooking water and cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, to a blender add all the remaining ingredients. Add in the cooked peas and blend to a smooth puree. If it needs more liquid, add a glug more of olive oil.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and use what you need and mix with a tbsp of pesto.