The perfect sauce to be used for lots of dishes
This classic tomato sauce is great to make in bulk and freeze in ice cubes so you can defrost a few at a time for a sauce with pasta, rice, meat add depth of flavour to stews or make a bolognese out of it. Will also keep in the fridge for over a week.
*Make without the salt and sugar to serve to your Piccolo.
Preparation: 10 minutes | Cooking: 40 minutes | Makes 4 portions | Suitable for freezing | Suitable from 12 months
60 minsprep time
10 minsCook time
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- A handful of basil, torn
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch of sugar and salt (optional)
- Black Pepper
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil for a minute over a low heat. Add the sliced garlic, and stir. Cook for another minute or two, until the garlic is translucent, but try not to let it brown (don't worry if it does, it will still taste good).
- Add the peppers and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the tomatoes to the saucepan and stir. Turn up the heat so that the mix comes to a simmer (and add a pinch of sugar and salt if you want). Turn down the heat and allow to cook gently for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally yo avoid sticking to bottom of the pan. The longer you cook it, the deeper the flavour will get.
- Remove from the heat, add the basil and season with pepper. Allow it to cool to a comfortable eating temperature, then stir in 1 tbsp of the extra virgin olive oil.
- You can either reat the sauce as is, or use a hand blender or food processor to puree it into a smoother sauce.