You’ve finally mastered milk and then suddenly it’s time to start introducing your little one to the wonderful world of solid foods! It can be an exciting and messy adventure, but fear not, here are some top tips to help you navigate the weaning journey:
- Start simple: Just like you wouldn’t start teaching your baby algebra before they learn basic maths, it’s best to start with simple single-ingredient foods like mashed sweet potato or pureed apple. Don’t be tempted to get too fancy too soon or you might overwhelm your little one’s taste buds!
- Let them get their hands dirty: Weaning is all about exploring and experimenting, so let your baby get hands-on with their food. Trust us, it’s a lot more fun to let them smear avocado all over their face than it is to try to spoon-feed it in! Been there, got the (very messy) t-shirt…
- Take it slow: It’s important to introduce new foods gradually and watch out for any signs of allergic reactions. Nobody wants to deal with a full-blown rash or tummy troubles, so make sure to introduce one new food at a time and wait a few days before trying something else.
- Milk is still king (or queen): While your baby is starting to eat solids, it’s important to remember that milk is still their primary source of nutrition until they turn one. So don’t stress too much if they’re not eating massive amounts of food just yet.
- Mix it up: As your little one starts becoming more comfortable with eating & gets a bit older, you can start introducing different textures and thicker purees. Don’t be afraid to mix and match flavours to see what they like best.
- Let them take the lead: You can’t force a baby to eat if they’re not interested, so follow their cues and let them decide when they’re full. Don’t be surprised if they love something one day and hate it the next – babies are notoriously fickle!
- Have fun with it: Weaning can be a messy, chaotic, and sometimes frustrating process, but it can also be a lot of fun. So… grab a bib, get your camera ready, and enjoy watching your little one explore the exciting world of food – those faces are priceless.