Cheese Straw Shooting Stars
- 250g block or ready rolled puff pastry
- 75g grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Handful of flour, to roll pastry on
- 1 egg yolk, whisked
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Flour a clean surface and either roll out the block pastry or unroll the pre-rolled pastry.
- Scatter over half of the grated Parmesan, the mustard powder and paprika and fold in half and roll out to the thickness of a £1 coin. Cut the pastry in half. One half cut into 1cm strips, and the other half cut out small star shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Score the tip of one end of the strip with a knife and dab on a little of the egg yolk, and gently but firmly press the star on top, twist the remaining strip and lay onto the baking sheet. Scatter over the remaining cheese and bake for 12 mins, or until golden.
- Leave to cool, then keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days. As these cheese straws are very delicate, roll them in kitchen paper before packing into a plastic container.